Thursday, March 29, 2012

So been a while

I have nothing much to report, well I do actually. Manuscript for book # 1 is with two publishers, on their request thanks to a feisty pitch via email by a writerly colleague of mine.

Imagine a bidding war between Text and Random House. Oh, I wish.

Everybody please cross fingers and any other bendy flexible bits of bodies. Thank you, I shall keep you posted.

Almost finished first draft of book # 2.

*

In other news, business is going well. We have 11 schools 'on the books' and debuted a few weeks ago. It's all going swimmingly though we'd like a few more bookings so we are doing mail out number 3 on the school holidays.

*

Today I went to Readings to kill time. This is what I bought:

Five Bells by Gail Jones.

Animal People by Charlotte Wood.

The Idea of Home by Geraldine Brooks (as part of the Boyer Lectures). I was disappointed with People of the Book and thus wasn't interested in Caleb's Crossing but liked The Year of Wonders and adored Nine Parts of Desire (non-fiction) so I expect this small volume will be engaging.

Quarterly Essay featuring Anna Krien's 'Us and Them' piece on animal welfare/animals/us and them

AND

Orhan Pamuk's The Museum of Innocence.

If just for the front cover, love it.

Which to read first, oh I love these types of conundrums!







6 comments:

Unknown said...

Fingers and toes crossed for you. Good luck!

phoenixmummy said...

Crossings my finger for you and then kids fingers too. Sending you positive vibes too. The bestest of luck to you. xox

Melba said...

Thanks y'all

In other news, am working my way through the Sookie Stackhouse books. Love.

Anonymous said...

Hey Melbs, best of luck.

Also thought you might like to know that the first episode of the new season of Game Of Thrones is out. All the characters have entirely different roles and with no more main character, it's looking like a true ensemble piece. Also, it looks to be a bit better shot than first season. More atmosphere. One episode's not much to go on, but I think it might end up being ace.

Melba said...

Hmmm Alex I have kind of dropped off Game of Thrones (haven't watched any more since last we were discussing.) Particularly disappointed is Clokes (peut etre) as he bought me the entire series of books for Christmas and I haven't even opened one of them. But there will be time, time for me and GOT. Perhaps I will go back to beginning and watch from scratch then watch season 2. Thanks for recommendation.

Melba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.